Using the latest technology in both software and advanced process control, StarCS has been developed as an adaptable and operator-friendly control system that integrates all control systems such as MillStar and FloatStar.
Benefits of StarCS
StarCS offers the following benefits:
- Open, plant-wide control platform
- Advanced process stabilisation and optimisation control
- Improved productivity
- Versatile control platform.
The use of classical controllers is not limited to customising specialised Mintek control systems, but also gives the client the flexibility of implementing simple control on any process using the StarCS control platform.
The following classical controllers are available:
- PID control, incorporating intelligent windup prevention at limits
- Ratio control, including corrective action if the ratio setpoint cannot be achieved
- Deadbeat control, model-based control calculating a control action that will ensure that the setpoint is reached within a specified time
- Feed-forward control, based on user-defined process characteristics.
System identification and autotuning
Accurate model fitting and proper controller tuning is crucial in ensuring optimum controller performance. Automating the process of model fitting and tuning not only reduces the commissioning time, but also simplifies the subsequent retuning due to circuit changes or other factors degrading controller performance.
Mintek’s SID tool fits models to recorded data and calculates suggested tuning parameters. It also forms the basis for customised, online autotuners for specific controllers.