CyLas, a Mintek product, is an online instrument that measures the hydrocyclone underflow discharge angle.
Plant operators have traditionally used the shape of the hydrocyclone underflow to assess the overall efficiency of the milling circuit – the CyLas provides this information online.
CyLas uses a laser device to measure the distance from a fixed point (where it is mounted) to a point on the hydrocyclone underflow discharge. The distance is then related to the underflow discharge angle with the aid of trigonometric manipulations. Because of its non-contact nature and rugged construction, the CyLas is an inherently low-maintenance instrument.
Benefits of CyLas
CyLas monitors the performance of a cyclone by providing a continuous measurement of the discharge angle of the underflow. This allows for optimal cyclone performance by altering feed conditions to operate the cyclone close to roping without choking.
Control of the underflow angle allows for consistent and optimal recirculating load conditions (in terms of flow and density) and ultimately limits the chances of mill overload due to the recirculating flow.
Among its benefits:
- Provides advanced warning of unfavourable operating conditions
- Ensures efficient classification by operating the cyclone at optimum discharge flare angle
- Optimum classification with real-time information while monitoring the cyclone efficiency
- Reduces the number of instances and the duration that a hydrocyclone exhibits roping behaviour
- Assist in the automated switching of individual cyclones in a cyclone clusters
- Low-maintenance due to its non-contact nature and robust construction.
By integrating CyLas with our comprehensive suite of milling solutions, including Rock IQ, MillSlicer VIP, MillROC, and MillStar, we offer an enhanced and synergistic approach to optimising the entire milling circuit. Together, these integrated solutions ensure improved performance and efficiency throughout the milling process.